1. Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
2. To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.
3. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
4. Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.
5. The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
6. All major religious traditions carry basically the same message; that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
7. Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours.
8. I think the first step is to understand that forgiveness does not exonerate the perpetrator. Forgiveness liberates the victim. It’s a gift you give yourself.
9. Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.
10. You can’t forgive without loving. And I don’t mean sentimentality. I don’t mean mush. I mean having enough courage to stand up and say, ‘I forgive. I’m finished with it.’
11. It’s not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you.
12. Before we can forgive one another, we have to understand one another.
13. Without forgiveness, life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.
14. When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.
15. Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again.
16. Forgotten is forgiven.
17. The remedy for life’s broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don’t try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive.
18. How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself?
19. To understand somebody else as a human being, I think, is about as close to real forgiveness as one can get.